Though we travel the world to find the beautiful

we must carry it with us or we find it not

Ralph Waldo Emerson


Sunday, April 3, 2011

"Raffles Hotel" .......

 

On the stop-overs  between Australia and Europe
it's nice to do a little browsing around.
I love to visit the beautifully elegant Raffles Hotel in Singapore
one of the most famous Hotels in the world.

There's a lovely cool atmosphere   (those ceilings are so.... high!)
and a superb high-tea served in the "Tiffin Room"
I could almost feel the history of the place seeping into my bones
and imagined a bygone era with ladies dressed in their long finery
and the lights from those exquisite Austrian chandeliers reflecting
off the highly polished marble surrounds.
.....................................
Somerset Maugham referred to it as
"The legendary symbol for all the fables of the exotic east"
I think he was right!





This early colonial establishment has featured in many films
including one named "Raffles Hotel"
which was shot here on location.

9 comments:

TK said...

Raffles Hotel is so elegant...a must do when in Singapore...Happy Sunday TK xx

Sylvia K said...

Delightful captures! I've traveled a good deal in my life but haven't been to Singapore and your photos are a wonderful way to visit such a lovely place! Hope your weekend is going well!

Sylvia

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Dianne,

We had a stopover in Singapore but it was only for a few hours.
Next time I think we will spend the night somewhere.
Raffles looks amazing and have never been there but it is on my list of visiting one day.

Hope that you are having a lovely Sunday.
Hugs
Carolyn

Kirsty@Bonjour said...

Singapore Slings in the bar. Yummo (and worth pacing yourself, they are strong)

diane b said...

That is a beautiful old hotel. I've walked passed it but never been in. I must remedy that.

My Carolina Kitchen said...

What a royal hotel. Very British Colonial style.
Sam

La Table De Nana said...

Just beautiful!

Cezar and Léia said...

Australia with a stop over in Singapore, this is certainly in my bucket list! :)
God bless you!
Cezar

Suzi said...

Dianne,
I have never been to this lovely Hotel but have heard plenty of good reports. Did you Have a Singapore sling?
x

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...