Though we travel the world to find the beautiful

we must carry it with us or we find it not

Ralph Waldo Emerson


Saturday, February 5, 2011

Canal St-Martin.....



A leisurely way to view the Canal St-Martin
is to take a boat trip which leaves from Port de Arsenal and ends near this
beautiful mirrored dome in "Bassin de la Villette"




I found the first stretch to be quite spooky
as the tunnel travels directly under the Place de le Bastille
 with only occasional drafts of light
from these overhead vents





After this section however, the 3 hour trip is quite delightful!
 with quaint timber arched walk-ways frequently spanning the canal
and the sides  framed by beautiful Chesnut trees.


In all we passed through 9 locks
and ended up becoming totally drenched with water.
It was still a fun day out and I saw sections of Paris
I would have never seen otherwise.

This canal has often featured in films
1938 "Hotel Du nord"
1972 "Les Malheurs D"Alfred"
2001 "Amelie"  where Amelie Poulain who
 ~ glides through the streets of Paris as quiet as a mouse~
 goes to her quiet place ~ skimming stones on the Canal St-Martin
click here to see the video.

Edith Piaf sang about it, in her beautiful but sad song
"Les momes de la cloche" (The Bell's Kids)

Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Shell Sherree said...

I don't fancy the tunnel bit either, Dianne, but the rest of it sounds more than lovely! Such a placid way to become acquainted.

Elizabeth said...

I think I know what I am doing my next trip to Paris!

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

I had forgotten about these excursions but have put it on my list for my next visit. Your top photo is stunning!

Bises,
G

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

This is something we have always wanted to do but it is not cheap and we sadly cannot really afford it. Diane

La Table De Nana said...

The first bit would spook me out too now..my sense of adventure..is moderate now:) But the rest..a treat..Wonderful shots to tempt:)

Marie said...

You seem to know much more about France than I do! :-)

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

The dome is beautiful, so blue and magical. I don't think I'd fancy being in that dark tunnel either under the Bastille, though better to be under it than in it!

Delana said...

Hi Dianne, I took that same trip up the canal 2 years ago and it was lovely. You're right, it's a part of Paris I probably would never have seen otherwise. As for Poulet-roti, I made one last weekend but was almost tsk tsked out of the boucherie because I asked for a poule. Oh madame NO! Those are just for the soup. Well geez, isn't a chicken a chicken?

Cezar and Léia said...

The first picture is really a stunner, brilliant capture!
God bless you!
Cezar

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

On my list for next trip .. I think I need to make a few trips a year .. I have walked from Canal St Martin to Republique .. now that was walk .. I think this would be fab.

VenetiaMicio said...

Atmosphère ! Atmosphère ! est ce que j'ai une g....d'atmosphere disait Arletty sur le pont, mais personnellement je préfère Améline qui fait des ricochets..Tu as raison de faire cette balade et de passer les écluses...Tu aurais faire une halte et manger à l'hotel du Nord !
XX
Danielle

Nathalie said...

I remember taking this cruise some five years ago and enjoying every minute of it (including the tunnel, yes)

Trotter said...

Lucky to have such a sunny day!!

carmen said...

Que bello la atmosfera dentro del cículo de cristal bellas fotos, que colorido

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...