Though we travel the world to find the beautiful

we must carry it with us or we find it not

Ralph Waldo Emerson


Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Lost on the 84 Bus.....

Have you ever been lost in Paris ?
On my last visit I decided to hop a bus, any bus in fact and enjoy the sights of the lovely left bank. The bus was a number 84 and it wasn't long before I realised I was on a local bus doing it's rounds as it headed across La Seine and commenced it's daily run out to the "Porte Champerret"

We passed by that notable "Maxims de Paris" where Brigette Bardot caused a scandal when she entered the restaurant barefoot !! I thought of the many famous faces who had been regular clients to this opulent eaterie ~ Aristotle Onasis, Maria Callis and The Duke & Dutchess of Windsor.

It's still very popular today but unfortunately I didn't catch a glimpse of it's current owner Pierre Cardin.
.............................................................................................
Further out we passed the elegant gates to that romantic park where Claude Monet painted his lovely canvas with the pink flowering shrub titled "Parc Monceau"

The park has 9 of these gold tipped, wrought iron gated entrances, designed by "Davidoud" The current watchman who lives above the rotunda at the North entrance, is a fifth generation watchman. What a lovely job and imagine being able to live right here at the park
............................................................................................
We finally arrived at the turn-around where many suburbian Parisians were waiting to board the Number 84, with shopping baskets and little dogs in tow ~ I smiled to see that many of the shoppers greeted the bus driver with the usual kiss on both cheeks or sometimes 3 air kisses ~ very cute! They were obviously regulars on this route.













We then headed back in the direction of Paris Centre, each time we stopped their were many "Bonjours" and Kissy~kisses as people got on or off and recognised fellow commuters.
It was a wonderful experience to have taken this Bus ride because I caught a glimpse of the everyday Parisians going about their everyday tasks with little dogs in their baskets ever... so well behaved.
In all I think it would have taken about 2 hours from ~go to woa~ but I remember it with much fondness
& was very pleased to have been lost on Bus 84.


Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany) said...

Oh! I always get lost in Paris! But hey, it's not a very bad place to get lost in. Usually you stumble accross beautiful places, just like you saw.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Getting lost on a bus is a great thing. You can enjoy the ride and check out the scenery (and the locals) as you did. It took me several trips to try the bus but it's easier than it seems and is indeed fun to get a "bit lost."

Thanks for sharing your ride!

Bises,
G

A Tale of Two Cities said...

What a fantastic way to see a slice of life-Parisian style! I'll have to try that next time. Thanks for taking us along with you on the ride!

Debi

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Dianne,

To get lost anywhere in Paris would be fine with me.
Thank you for sharing your photos Maxims de Paris looks grand and was fun reading this post.
How funny about Brigette Bardot ... going barefoot into the restaurant!

Happy rest of the week
Hugs
Carolyn

Cezar and Léia said...

Wow it's a dream for me! :)
Imagine...get lost in Paris inside a bus, and see so wonderful surprises!Amazing idea!
Léia :)

VenetiaMicio said...

On ne se perd pas à Paris, mais quitte à prendre la mauvaise ligne d'autobus, autant profiter du paysage de la plus belle capitale du monde. Il vaut mieux se perdre en autobus qu'en métro, n'est-ce-pas ?
Très amusant de rencontrer des habitués qui se font la bise. Je ne crois que cela arrive dans la cohute des heures de pointes dans le métro !!!
J'ai vu Pierre Cardin, il mangeait à côté de moi mais à Venise....
Danielle

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Oh how I love your magical post Dianne!
I'm going to do this next time I'm there - hard when my husband is such a stickler for "keeping to the plan", but I'll think of something!!!
Beautiful Maxims and all those amazing names - Brigitte could do no wrong when she was the darling of France!
hugs
Shane

Rosalie Rigby said...

Great to take the trip with you. A great way of seeing the "real Paris". Wish I was there!

Karena said...

What an adventure...how exciting!

Come and Enter my $200 Giveaway from Fifi Flowers!
xoxo

Karena
Art by Karena

Eleanor said...

No, I've never been lost in Paris. When I find myself not where I intended...I consider it an adventure. Eventually I arrive at my destination.

myfrenchkitchen said...

A GREAT place to get lost in anyhow... one can jut ride along all day with experiences which will read like a novel...or even a thriller!
bisous
ronelle

Gunn said...

Beautiful, both the photos and the text!:)

talesfromagarden said...

What a great idea,I did that this year in Nice,just hopped a bus and went to the terminus and back,saw parts I would never have seen otherwise! Must do this the next time I am lucky enough to find myself in Paris! Thanks for the tour and the info.!

The Armchair Parisian said...

The last time I was in Paris I started figuring out the buses. Great way to get around above ground! As for being lost? Several times! But once I was alone and *really* lost. I decided that I'd descend into the next metro I came upon, sure that I could find my way to wherever I wanted to be from there ~ but I walked for two hours without ever crossing paths with a metro! Could I have asked somebody? Sure, but where's the fun in that? :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...