Though we travel the world to find the beautiful

we must carry it with us or we find it not

Ralph Waldo Emerson


Saturday, October 16, 2010

An old auberge in Montmartre....



The facade of this lovely old auberge in Montmartre is so pretty.
the motto over the entrance says simply
"aimer, manger, boire et chanter"
Love, eat, drink and sing .
Well the eating and drinking I accomplished
but the other 2 may have to wait until
a more opportune time



the restaurant/cabaret served as one of many meeting
venues for artists such as Sisley, Degas, Cezanne, Renoir
and Vincent Van-Gogh
who is said to have used the garden room
for his model in the famous painting
~La Guinguette~
currently housed in the Musee D"Orsay



At the side is the cobble~stoned Rue Des Saules
which leads down to the quaint "La Maison Rose"
& "Au Lapin Agile"
both much frequented by the same artists.
There's so much history in this area
every building has a story, I'm afraid I almost forgot
about Le Sacre Coeur
too busy rambling around the backstreet
with my head in the clouds!!


14 comments:

BonjourRomance said...

Bonjour Dianne,
Lovely photos as always. You have a great eye. Guess where you have inspired me to go this weekend? Sorry I have gotten behind in blog visits again.
Bon week-end,
Mimi

Cezar and Léia said...

The auberge's motto could be something to live by! :)
God bless you!
Cezar

Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany) said...

Just gorgeous! That place is homely and unique; just the way I like it.

La Table De Nana said...

I hope one day to see what you saw..You seem to appreciate what I love to look at:)

la Brocanteuse said...

love the images...Rue des Saules is very familiar to me..we once took an apartment there and my daughter at he age of 18 mnths fell in love with the carousel at the foot of Sacre Cour (in your header) and it brings back such happy memories.
I received the very same image from my husband today as he is attending a exhibition there at the moment. so this is double bonus today! xo Colette

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

AH! MONTEMARTE, c'est mon endroit préféré à Paris! Et vous Madame, vous parlez français aussi? C'est vrai, c'est un défi d'apprendre une nouvelle langue, mais ça vaut la peine, n'est-ce pas? Je suis prof de français et je l'ai appris à l'âge de 34 ans. J'en ai 52 et je parle couramment à force de mon metier en tant que prof. Bravo à vous pour avoir commencé cet aventure! Merci pour votre visite et amusez-vous de vos petits enfant! GROSSES BISES, Anita

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Diane, as per usual you have delighted us with you photos, the details, and a story! The cobblestone streets are just dreamy.

Shell Sherree said...

How picturesque and quaint! And I love the motto, too. A simple and rich way to live life.

Karena said...

Dianne, how wonderful and to imagine all of those amazing artists sitting together!

I have a Luxurious New Giveaway on my site....Come and enter!!

Xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

mr. pineapple man said...

what a fun blog! can't wait to come back :)

The French Boudoir said...

Your blog is so lovely. I love it. We both love all things french, roses, and paintings.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Thank you for your visit, Dianne! I love all things French too. Sadly, I've never been to France but I do love seeing your photos.

myfrenchkitchen said...

Lovely images Dianne!! So much to discover in Monmartre...much romance, many little secrets, many sotires...
bisous
Ronelle

MoongirlInHindsight said...

Diane, thank you so much for sharing your beautiful photos of France. I too am enamoured with France and would dearly love to visit Paris especially. I am a lover of all things french. I do have a little french blood in my ancestry so that might explain it. Thank you again for sharing these beautiful photos. I love them all. xxx Moongirl xxx

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...