Though we travel the world to find the beautiful

we must carry it with us or we find it not

Ralph Waldo Emerson


Monday, September 27, 2010

Beautiful "Baronne Henriette de Snoy"


This beautiful French tea rose is in full bloom in my garden
I wish I could pronounce her pretty name as the French do
it sound so elegant!
She's a stylish but fickle lady, who dresses in the finest of fashion & colours one day
lifting her proud head to greet the day
only to find the next morning, she is perfectly disheveled
~fallen into a heap ~frayed around the edges
and any semblance of "joie de vivre" totally gone !!
as I say, fickle !! but she has her day
and lives it with reckless abandonment
.


~ pretty "Baronne Henriette de Snoy" ~
bred by the famed rose breeder Alexandre Bernaix
at Lyon France in 1897


I would that she was a climber and have her day of glory up here with my
lovely wisteria ~ they would look so lovely together.
.............

I send you here a wreath of blossoms blown
and woven flowers at sunset gathered,
Another dawn had seen them ruined,and shed
loose leaves upon the grass at random strown,
by this their sure example, be it known,
that all your beauties, now in perfect flower,
shall fade as these, and wither in an hour,
flowerlike, and brief of days, as the flower sown
.

Pierre Ronsard 1550

Posted by Picasa

21 comments:

SoozNooz said...

Beautiful post today - thank you so much for sharing it with us x

mya said...

What a lovely rose. Instead of one flower it looks like a cluster of at least six blossoms.
Unfortuantely, the description would also fit a couple of gals that I have known when a charming guy would catch their eye.Some never learn.

Arija said...

So like Souvenir de la Malmaison in colour and shape, also in succumbing to rain or heat but what a perfume!

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Hi Dianne

Well you're way ahead of Auckland.
I haven't even got buds on my roses yet!!
Henriette is worth it even just for a day - is she a scented lady???
I adore her fat buds - oooh!!

Shell Sherree said...

Your tea rose is spectacular, Dianne ~ it must be hard to drag yourself away from gazing at her. Such a poetic and pretty post.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

What a stunning rose and I can just imagine that ans wisteria together. Diane

TK said...

I love that poem.....& the rose well what can I say - she may be ah so fickle but she is divine!!!!

Cezar and Léia said...

Wow how lucky you are!The pictures of the romantic rose is wonderful and your post brilliant! :)
Léia

La Table De Nana said...

So many petals:) So beautiful!

BlossomFlowerGirl said...

I had Souvenir de la Malmaison in my garden and your rose is similar but has deeper colour. I love roses and their perfume. The poem is perfect to match a perfect flower.

✿ Hélène Flont ✿ said...

Magnifique baronne Henriette, but this rose seems so difficult to paint! Looks like a wonderful satin fabric.

A Gift Wrapped Life said...

An incredible bloom! So jealous that you are heading into the season for blooming flowers. It just passed and I miss it already. XO

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Dianne, that flower is just huge and a gorgeous shade of pink. The old style roses have wonderful fragrances and I can almost smell it halfway around the world!
xx
Genie

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Dianne,

Thank you for sharing your beautiful post today, the rose is absolutely gorgeous and my favourite colour. I will write down the name of this one, and see if I can get it, also love the poem and will write it in my little book.
Your wisteria is so pretty, mine is just coming into flower.
Thanks for visiting me.

Hugs
Carolyn

Stephanie Savors the Moment said...

That rose is beautiful - it almost looks like peony! I bet it smells positively divine... Beautiful wisteria too - thanks for sharing your gorgeous photos:)

A Tale of Two Cities said...

I wonder if the Baronne Henriette was as lovely as this rose!

Debi

Carla said...

wow I would love a garden full of those tea roses. Gorgeous, nature is amazing too beautiful for words. Carla

Carolyn said...

She is a very lovely rose and the wisteria is so beautiful also! I would love to have them both in my garden-my wisteria does not want to bloom for me ,sadly!
Carolyn

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

Hello Dianne, that tea rose is stunning. Your blog is so lovely. Just scrolling through it - the images are really stunning. I love the art and the flowers. Thanks for your comment on BB and I couldn't agree more on Prince Charles. Have a lovely week. xx

Les rêves d'une boulangère (Brittany) said...

Flowers, France, and all things pretty...Dianne your blog is a real treat to look at

Georgianna said...

Oh, this is heavenly, Dianne! How marvelous to have your roses just beginning to bloom! And that poem is so perfect for spring and for us just going into autumn. Thank you for sharing this beauty! - g

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...