Though we travel the world to find the beautiful

we must carry it with us or we find it not

Ralph Waldo Emerson


Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Vineyards at Montmatre


Ambling around the back streets of Montmatre - I came across
this beautiful little vine-yard "Clos Montmatre"
apparently it's Paris' only working vineyard and each year they hold
"La fete des vendages"
where bottles of vine are auctioned off for charity.


peeking through the fencing into the vineyard !!

Right behind me was "Le Lapin Agile" ( the nimble rabbit)
the cabaret frequented and painted by artists such as Renoir, Utrillo and Picasso

Below is my favourite, by Maurice Utrillo
I hope you like it !


Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

TK said...

oh I really do love that sweet little painting by Utrillo!!!! Truly french inspired!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

thank you for you lovely comment, about the postcard. A total surprise from Leesa, thanking me for something I sent her.

I never got to the Vine Yard, hopefully next time I go :-) I love the Montmartre area, I just love Paris . the Painting is great , yes can understand why its a favourite. Have a good week.

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Delightful post on the vineyard.

On my many trips to Paris I've still not seen it.
Oh well another for my list for my next trip!

I've read many articles about it too.

Thanks Dianne

puddinglane said...

TK- so pleased you liked it -out of all the artists who painted this little place Utrillo's was by far my favourite.

Anne: definitely put it on your must do list - especially walking around the back of Sacre- Cour into the old village of Montmatre - it's like you're in a time warp.

R.L.&B this hill was almost completely covered with vine-yards years ago - and you get a sense of country as you walk the back roads of Montmatre - wear comfy walking shoes!

Draffin Bears said...

Lovely of you to visit me, and it was great to discover your blog, merci beaucoup Puddinglane.
The vineyards are wonderful.
I love the little 2CV in your Avatar photo.

Happy week
Hugs
Carolyn

Genie said...

Dianne, I was just in Paris and did not see the vineyards. We went to Montmartre but forgot to put "vineyards" on the list! Yikes -- must go back SOON! Thanks for the Utrillo painting - just lovely!

Virginia said...

Love this little vineyard. I've stuck my lens through that fence a few times. The Agile Lapin is so cute, no wonder the great ones painted it. Love the one you shared with us today. Hmmmm i think I have photos there that I have not posted.
V

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...