Though we travel the world to find the beautiful

we must carry it with us or we find it not

Ralph Waldo Emerson


Saturday, July 17, 2010

Vincent's Sunflowers...


The beautiful French name for sunflowers is "tournesol"
because their faces turn to follow the sun.
I was reminded last night as I watched le Tour de France -
passing by Haut- Provence
how lovely to see a field of beautiful sunflowers
dancing in the breeze.



No wonder Vincent-Van-Gogh loved to paint these elegant creatures
The photo above was taken looking through the window of Vincent's
bedroom window at the asylum "St Paul de Mausole"
near St Remy de Provence, where Vincent voluntary confined himself
for about 1 year.
This time proved to be his most creative.



Vincent's room is just right of centre
on the top level.



"Starry starry night, paint your palette blue & grey
look out on a summer's day with eyes that know
the darkness in my soul
Shadows on the hills, sketch the trees and daffodils
Catch the breeze and winter chills
in colours on the snowy linen land.

Now I understand what you tried to say to me
How you suffered for your sanity
How you tried to set them free
They would not listen they did not know how,
perhaps they'll listen now"

Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Genie said...

The photo of Vincent's room is a perfect example of the shades of blue and purple found in southern France. Thanks for reminding me of Don McLean's song and the beautiful Van Gogh it references. Merci!

FireintheBreeze (Brittany) said...

Love learning new words, so thanks for the "turnesol" tip off :)

TK said...

Did you know SALW favourite flowers are sunflowers??!!

puddinglane said...

No I didn't know she loved le tournesol. that beautiful shade of yellow is so rich I can understand why Vincent loved them- he said "I dream of painting and then I paint my dream"

Kristin Espinasse said...

Bonjour Dianne, lovely post -- it makes me want to see a film biography about Van Gogh (I saw one years ago...) RE sunflowers, ours are blooming now and, just as they did last year, they are not following the "turns-head-with-sun" rule! I guess they are rebels! Beautiful site. Thanks for the info on Van Gogh, which brought me to this site containing his letters: http://vangoghletters.org

Kellie Collis said...

Such a great colour! Hope you are having a gorgeous weekend! x

puddinglane said...

Kristin, Thanks for that website- what a wealth of information Vincents letters give us- he was so passionate about his art and about the colour yellow. Theo was obviously a great support and encourager to his brother.

Carolyn Cordon said...

This is a truly beautiful blog post. Thank you for sharing - the new word, the images, the song. All are lovely.

Carla said...

Vincent Rocks!!!! I love his work and his sad story. Thanks for the pictures that take us there. Carla

Roses, Lace and Brocante said...

Hello Dianne

How lovely to discover your blog and I'm now a follower.

I too love all things French follow French inspired blogs as you do.

Such a lovely post, I have a VVG print of the cafe looking up at the starry starry night!!!

Please come and visit me and I'll get my prettiest french teacups out and make YOU very welcome!!!

sarah-jane down the lane said...

There have been two brilliant BBC dramas recently featuring Van Gogh. The first was a wonderful biopic starring the wonderful Benedict Cumberbatch, fantastic and the second a Richard Curtis episode for Doctor Who would you beilieve! Both well worth tracking down if you love Vincent!
Lovely post,

Sarah x

Britt-Arnhild said...

I watch Tour de France every day, especially looking out for Thor Hushovd and Edwald Boason Hagen :-)
You have a charming blog.

A Tale of Two Cities said...

Bonjour Dianne,
Thanks for stopping by my blog today and saying hello. Staying in Vence must have have been a huge thrill. Since I'm a lover of "all things French," it's only natural that I would want to follow your blog. How beautiful all your posts are and full of good information too. I'm completely on board.

A bientôt,
Debi

la Brocanteuse said...

I always enjoy what you share with us..and this is once again so..thank you! warm wishes Colette x

Jacob said...

Thank you for sharing these photos of Van Gogh's quarters. Our daughter grows sunflowers in South Florida. They are truly elegant!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...